FAQ


Why 'Gillian Giggs'?


"Jillian Jillian Jillian Jiggs! It looks like your room has been lived in by pigs!"
- Phoebe Gilman

I couldn't think of a more fitting name for my business than Gillian Giggs. After being given this book at almost every birthday party as a child, I think the main character started to rub off on me. Other than the fact our names start with different letters, we were very much alike. One particularly noticeable habit is our ability to make a mess. This habit has seemed to follow me to this day. Although instead of toys scattered around my room, it's coffee cups and art supplies scattered around my entire house...


Why do you choose to give 10% of your revenue to Kwagala Foundation?

Kwagala is a grassroots non-profit organization based in Winnipeg and founded my friend Kate Muirhead. The organization started in 2006 after Kate had traveled to Uganda and wanted to continue helping the villages she had visited by empowering them and helping them attain a sustainable living. Kwagala's efforts are focused in select villages in South-Central Uganda: Kyababeezi and Ndejje. Kate works closely with the people of these villages and visits at least once a year.
I first became aware of the cause through Kate and fundraisers she put on at the West End Cultural Center. Last year I took part in a holiday craft sale and wanted to put a part of my revenue towards a good cause. I chose Kwagala because it is a grassroots initiative and I feel connected to the cause through my friend. Since the craft sale, we have hosted a jewelry sale with jewelry made by a group of women in Uganda and 'Giggs' jewelry. I have also become a sponsor for a little girl named Immaculate through Kwagala.


Do you do custom orders?

I have done custom orders before but since I have a part time job and am in full time school, I don't have a lot of time for custom pieces. That being said, it doesn't hurt to ask, and if I find time in my schedule I will take on the task!


Who are your top 5 favorite visual artists right now?

Melanie Authier

Jiha Moon

Charline Von Heyl

Vicki Nerino

Matthew Ritchie



If you have a question, please email me, a.gillian.king@gmail.com

Thank you.